Show Side Menu
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999


If you are confronted by a serious medical problem such as acute chest pain, suspected broken bones, bad burns or severe bleeding, call an ambulance (telephone 999) or visit your nearest Accident and Emergency Centre at your discretion. If you are uncertain, you can go to NHS 111 online, or phone NHS 111 for free advice from health professionals 24 hours a day. Your call is free from land lines or mobile phones.

Illness in children can be particularly concerning for parents. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has developed a "traffic light" system for identifying the risk of serious illness in children. Note: an infant or child will fall into the amber or red risk category if they have any of the relevant clinical features. See below:

Feverish Children: NICE Traffic Light system for risk assessment

NICE Traffic Light model

CRT, capillary refill time; RR, respiratory rate
NB: Some vaccinations have been found to induce fever in children aged under 3 months
For more information, go to
Advice for home care is at: NICE Advice for Home Care

Parents may find it helpful to have a copy of "When Should I Worry?", a useful booklet produced by The Department of Primary Care and Public Health, Cardiff University,

Weekend And Night Cover

For emergency medical attention when the surgery is closed, please telephone NHS 111 (just dial 111) who will put you in touch with the surgery's out of hours doctor service if necessary.


Local Services, Let
1 person in the UK develops dementia every 3 minutes. Take action - set up a Lasting Power of Attorney before you lose mental capacity and it